Monday, August 19, 2013

DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel Review

Trial Size Bottle


I have been using Devacurl products for about 8 months now and always used the DevaCare Arc AnGEL (the orange gel). I went to Ulta and saw this on the shelves and it claims to moisturize and define the curls. Since Ulta carries travel (or trial) size I decided to pick this up instead.

The smell is citrusy/fruity and very refreshing! I apply this gel how I always apply gel, with my hair dripping wet straight out of the shower. I don't even walk out of the shower I apply my prducts standing there so the excess water drips into the drain. I put 3 quarter size amount into my palms and rubbed it together. Right off the bat I knew the consistency of this gel is more thick and kind of hard to distribute evenly on my hair.. I put it in my hair and it just melted in. I would scrunch out the excess water and then do it again with an old t-shirt.


I found that the Ultra Defining gel does have more hold then the Devacare Arc AnGEL (orange gel) . With the thicker consistency I had high hopes that it would hold up on humidity and it has. It would create a "cast" and when my hair completely dried I would scrunch out the crunch. The picture to the left shows my hair 95% dry and have defined curls.

Semi- Dry
Fully Dry




















I woke up the next day and still had my curls intact. The fresh fruity/citrus smell was still there and my curls were soft to the touch.

Overall I would rate this gel 9/10. It does what it says it does, but was a little hard to evenly apply to my hair cuz of the thickness. I perfer the smell of the Ultra Defining gel over DevaCare Arc AnGEL. I like the DevaCare Arc AnGEL orangey smell, but prefer this one because its more refreshing and feel it lingers on the hair longer.

Woud I recommend this? Yes! I follow Curly Girl  Method (no sulfates or silicones) and have type 2a/b hair.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I came across your blog. Once I'm out of my Ouidad I'm gonna try the deva curl you recommend. Hope my hair turns out as beautiful as yours.

    ReplyDelete